Last Updated: June 30, 2023
Notice at Collection for California Residents. At or before the time of collection, California residents may have a right to receive notice of our practices, including the categories of personal information to be collected, the purposes for which such information is collected or used, whether such information is sold or shared and how to opt-out of such uses, and how long such information is retained. You can find those details by clicking on this link to review our California Privacy Notice.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES
- RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR COLORADO RESIDENTS
- SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
- CHILDREN'S INFORMATION
- THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
- POLICY ACCESS
- CONTACT US
2. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The categories of personal information we collect depend on how you interact with us, our Services, and the requirements of applicable law. We collect information that you provide to us, information we obtain automatically when you use our Services, and information from other sources such as third-party services and organizations, as described below. Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Services, to administer your use of the Services (including your account, if you are an account holder), and to enable you to enjoy and easily navigate our Services.
- Personal Information You Provide to Us Directly
We may collect personal information that you provide to us.
- Account Information. We may collect personal information in connection with the creation and administration of your account, such as your first and last name and email address, and any other information that you provide to us or that we otherwise collect. Creating an account is not required to use our Services.
- Online Purchases and Billing Information. We may collect personal information and details associated with your purchases on our Services (such as your name, phone number, email, debit or credit card token, IP address, billing address, and shipping address), including payment information and your purchase history. Any payments made via our Services are processed by third-party payment processors. We do not directly collect or store any payment card information entered through our Services, but we may receive information associated with your payment card information (e.g., your billing details and a payment card token). Additionally, if you create an account, we may also collect and store Log Data (such as your browsing history, search history, and other information related to your interaction with the Big 5 website).
- In-Store Transactions. We may collect personal information in connection with the purchases you make in our retail stores to facilitate the transaction. The information we collect includes, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, email, mailing address, checks, debit or credit card token, transaction number, driver's license, state ID card, passport, military ID, hunting or fishing license, your purchasing histories or tendencies, and inferences related to your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, behavior and attitude, video surveillance footage, audio recordings, military status, and criminal history.
- Purchase Orders. We may collect personal information when you set up purchase orders with us, such as your name, phone number, email, physical address, mailing address, bank account information, credit or debit card number, order numbers, payment and sales history.
- User-Generated Content. We may collect personal information when you submit content through our Services, such as product reviews, uploaded documents, and other content or information that you generate, transmit or otherwise make available on the Services, as well as associated metadata. Any information you provide using the public sharing features of the Services will be considered "public," unless otherwise required by applicable law, and is not subject to the privacy protections referenced herein.
- Information Related to Your Communications with Us. We may collect personal information, such as your first and last name, email address, phone number, billing address, mailing address, debit or credit card number, debit or credit card token, IP address, transaction information and history, video surveillance footage, audio recordings as well as your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends and behavior and attitude when you request information about Big 5 or our Services, register for our newsletter or loyalty program, request support, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Claims. If you are involved in a claim or dispute with Big 5 or involved with any damage to our property, we may collect personal information, such as your first and last name, email address, phone number, and/or mailing address, driver's license information, vehicle registration/information, insurance policy or contract number, health or medical information, products and services obtained and transaction histories, video surveillance footage and audio recordings, professional information (e.g., current or prior employer and related work information), and inferences related to your characteristics, psychological trends, behavior, and attitude.
- E-Team Program. We may collect personal information if you have registered for our E-Team program to receive discounts, coupons, and other special offers. The information we may collect includes, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, email, date of birth, product interests, transactions, purchase history, product reviews, information about your interaction with Big 5 website and emails, geolocation data (such as region information, zip code, and approximate location derived from IP address).
- Other Activities on Our Services. We may collect personal information when you engage in certain activities via the Services, such as, without limitation, registering for email promotions or notifications, setting up a shopping cart or Wishlist, ordering a gift card, requesting donations, or submitting an online form. Depending on the activity in which you engage, providing such personal information may be required or optional.
- Criminal Activity or Fraud. We may collect personal information if you engage with our Services in an illegal or potentially illegal manner, such as your name, phone number, email, physical address, mailing address, social security number, driver's license information, your description, gender, race, public profile information, transaction information, video surveillance footage, audio recordings, inferences related to your characteristics, psychological trends, behavior, and attitude.
- Information We Collect Through In-Store Technology. We may collect your personal information from technology we use in our stores, such as our facility cameras. We operate cameras in store for security.
- Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, we may collect personal information from you in connection with the survey.
- Sweepstakes, Raffles, or Contests. We may collect personal information you provide for any sweepstakes, raffles, or contests that we offer, such as your name, social media identifier, email, phone number, product preferences, and purchasing histories or tendencies. In some jurisdictions, we are required to publicly share information of sweepstakes and contest winners.
- Conferences, Trade Shows, and Other Events. We may collect personal information from individuals when we attend or host conferences, trade shows, and other events, such as your first and last name, email address, phone number, and/or mailing address.
- Business Development and Strategic Partnerships. We may collect personal information from individuals and third parties to assess and pursue potential business opportunities.
- Personal Information Collected Automatically
We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services.
- Personal Information Collected from Other Sources
Third-Party Services and Sources. We may obtain personal information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site, we may collect personal information about you from that third-party application that you have made available via your privacy settings.
Referrals and Sharing Features. Our Services may offer various tools and functionalities that allow you to provide personal information about your friends through our referral service. Our referral services may also allow you to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email inviting your friend to use our Services or sharing your Wishlist. Please only share with us contact information of people with whom you have a relationship (e.g., relative, friend, neighbor, or co-worker).
3. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your personal information for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, for administrative purposes, and to market our products and Services, as described below.
- Provide Our Services
We use your personal information to fulfill our contract with you and provide our Services, such as:
- Managing your information and accounts;
- Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Answering requests for customer or technical support;
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our Services, and policy changes;
- Processing your financial information and other payment methods for products or Services purchased;
- Processing your online orders;
- Processing applications if you apply for a job we post on our Services; and
- Allowing you to register for events, sweepstakes, raffles, and contests.
- Administrative Purposes
We use your personal information for various administrative purposes, such as:
- Pursuing our legitimate interests such as direct marketing, research and development (including marketing research), network and information security, and criminal activity and fraud prevention;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Measuring interest and engagement in our Services;
- Short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
- Improving, upgrading, or enhancing our Services;
- Developing new products and services;
- Ensuring internal quality control and safety;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors with our Services;
- Auditing relating to interactions, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Sharing personal information with third parties as needed to provide the Services;
- Accounting accruals and reserve funding;
- Processing and settling auto liability and/or physical damage claims;
- Recouping expenses either directly or through third-party insurance for property damage(s) sustained;
- Enforcing our agreements and policies; and
- Carrying out activities that are required to comply with our legal obligations.
- Marketing and Advertising our Products and Services
We may use personal information to tailor and provide you with content and advertisements. We may provide you with these materials as permitted by applicable law.
Some of the ways we may market to you include email campaigns, custom audiences advertising, and "personalized advertising" or "targeted advertising," including through cross-device tracking.
If you have any questions about our marketing practices or if you would like to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes, you may contact us at any time as set forth in "Contact Us" below.
- With Your Consent
We may use personal information for other purposes that are clearly disclosed to you at the time you provide personal information or with your consent.
- Other Purposes
We also use your personal information for other purposes as requested by you or as permitted by applicable law.
- Creating De-Identified and/or Aggregated Information
We may use personal information to create de-identified and/or aggregated information, such as demographic information, information about how you use the Services, information about the device from which you access our Services, or other analyses we create. If we create or receive de-identified information, we will not attempt to reidentify such information, unless permitted by applicable laws or required to comply with. De-identified and/or aggregated information is not personal information, and we may use, disclose, and retain such information as permitted by applicable laws including, but not limited to, for research, analysis, analytics, and any other legally permissible purposes.
4. HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We disclose your personal information to third parties for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, to protect us or others, or in the event of a major business transaction such as a merger, sale, or asset transfer, as described below.
- Disclosures to Provide our Services
The categories of third parties with whom we may share your personal information are described below.
- Service Providers. We may engage third-party service providers and vendors to work with us to administer and provide the Services ("Third-Party Providers"). Such Third-Party Providers include, but are not limited to, web hosting service providers, payment and sales tax processing service providers, data analytics service providers, network advertising service providers, and related services.
- Business Partners. We may share your personal information with business partners to provide you with a product or service you have requested. We may also share your personal information with business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services.
- Affiliates. We may share your personal information with our affiliates and subsidiaries.
- Other Users or Third Parties You Share or Interact With As described above in "Personal Information We Collect," our Services may allow you to share personal information or interact with other users and third parties (including individuals and third parties who do not use our Services and the general public). For example, you may create a "Wishlist" via your Account on the Services and you may share your Wishlist via the Services. In order to do so, you will provide us with the email addresses of those persons with whom you would like to share your Wishlist. We will use these email addresses for the sole purposes of sharing your Wishlist and for no other purposes.
- Advertising Partners. We may share your personal information with third-party advertising partners. These third-party advertising partners may set Technologies and other tracking tools on our Services to collect information regarding your activities and your device (e.g., your IP address, cookie identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as "interest-based advertising," "personalized advertising," or "targeted advertising."
- APIs/SDKs. We may use third-party application program interfaces ("APIs") and software development kits ("SDKs") as part of the functionality of our Services. For more information about our use of APIs and SDKs, please contact us as set forth in "Contact Us" below.
- Disclosures to Protect Us or Others
We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our, or others' rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, your information may be disclosed or transferred as part of such a transaction.
5. YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES
Your Privacy Choices. The privacy choices you may have about your personal information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
- Text Messages. If you receive an unwanted text message from us, you may opt out of receiving future text messages from us by following the instructions in the text message you have received from us or by otherwise contacting us as set forth in "Contact Us" below.
- Phone Calls.If you receive an unwanted marketing phone call from us, you may opt out of receiving future phone calls from us by following the instructions which may be available on the call or by otherwise contacting us as set forth in "Contact Us" below.
- Cookies and Personalized Advertising You may stop or restrict the placement of Technologies on your device or remove them by adjusting your preferences as your browser or device permits. However, if you adjust your preferences, our Services may not work properly. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, you may opt-out of personalized advertisements on some mobile applications by following the instructions for Android, iOS, and others.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance. For more information about cookies and web beacons, please visit allaboutcookies.org. Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device. Opting out through these mechanisms does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads while online.
- Modifying Personal Information. You can access and modify the personal information associated with your Account by signing into your Account and following the instructions for making such modifications via the Services. You may change most of your personal information associated with your online account (except, for example, your username). If you are unable to access and/or change your personal information, please contact us as set forth below.
6. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we may consider applicable legal requirements, the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, certain risk factors, the purposes for which we process your personal information, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means.
7. SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR COLORADO RESIDENTS
If you are a resident of Colorado, you have the following rights related to your personal information:
- The right to access your personal information;
- The right to correct your personal information;
- The right to delete your personal information;
- The right to opt out of the sale of your personal information, of the processing of personal information for purposes of targeted advertising or of profiling in furtherance of decisions that have a legal or similar significant effect concerning you; and
- The right to obtain your personal information in a portable and readily usable format.
You can submit a request to exercise your data rights above by:
- Visiting our online portal at: https://www.requesteasy.com/6388-2382
- Calling us toll-free at 1 (800) 898-2994 during regular business hours
- Visiting a Big 5 retail location during regular business hours
You may appeal our decision if we decline to process your request. You may do so by informing us of this at email@example.com and providing us with information supporting your appeal.
8. SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
Nevada law gives Nevada consumers the right to request that a company not sell their personal information. This right applies even if their personal information is not currently being sold. Please note that we do not currently sell your personal information as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A. However, if you request that we not sell your personal information, we will add you to our Do Not Sell List, and if we ever begin selling personal information, yours will not be sold. If you are a Nevada consumer and wish to exercise this right, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Nevada Do Not Sell Request" and provide us with your name and email address associated with your account.
9. CHILDREN'S INFORMATION
The Services are not directed to children under 18 (or other age as required by local law), and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you are a parent or guardian and believe your child has uploaded personal information to our site without your consent, you may contact us as described in "Contact Us" below. Upon receiving such a notice, we will take steps to: (a) notify you what information may have been used and/or disclosed; and (b) remove your child's personal information or other information from our databases, cease the use of such information, and direct any other party with access to such information to do the same.
10. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
The Services may contain links to other websites/applications and other websites/applications may reference or link to our Services. These third-party services are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen, or approve, and are not responsible for, the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Providing personal information to third-party websites or applications is at your own risk.
11. POLICY ACCESS
Our goal is to permit our consumers to access this policy and the features available under this policy, whether or not they are using assistive technologies, like a screen reader, magnifier, or other technology. Upon request, you may access the policy in an alternative format by contacting us at 1 (800) 898-2994 or email@example.com. Further, you may also contact us if you have difficulty accessing this policy. We will work with you through a communication method that is accessible for you, consistent with applicable law, to provide you with access to this policy.
12. CONTACT US
By sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
By sending a letter to:
Big 5 Sporting Goods
Attn: Legal Department
2525 East El Segundo Boulevard
El Segundo, California 90245
By calling toll free: 1(800) 898-2994 during regular business hours